When designing a learning opportunity, we have found that it is important to keep certain essential elements and steps in mind:
- Invite the right trainer
- Thoroughly introduce the subject and the goal of the training
- At the start, ask participants what they expect, then reflect on these expectations at the end
- Vary your methods: presentations, group exercises, role play, demonstrations, …
- Insert plenty of energisers between discussions
- Conduct a thorough evaluation at the end
A training about risk – a sensitive topic! – requires a facilitator who really understands the context: an expert at trust-building who creates a safe space for everyone. A technical training, on the other hand, calls for a facilitator who is highly aware of the most recent policies and laws: someone who introduces the topic, then takes a step back to let participants discuss among themselves.